Pages

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Merv - My Mate!

Last night, my mate Merv went home to live with Jesus.

It will be a sad day today ... and the next day too ... but it is comforting to know that he is now pain-free and home in heaven.

There is great encouragement in the Bible about death and our eternal destination.

There is plenty of room for you in my Father's home. …. John 14:2 (MSG)

There are many homes up there where my Father lives, and I am going to prepare them for your coming. When everything is ready, then I will come and get you, so that you can always be with me where I am…. John 14:2 (TLB)

..... in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us.
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:37-39 (NIV)

Here is a photo of him taken just 1 year ago. It is amazing what can happen in a year!

It has been a real privilege to serve with Merv in a leadership capacity at Westlife.

Here is how many of us will remember Merv - being a clown and making Glenys laugh!


I love you, Merv - and you will be missed.

I'll keep you posted soon about arrangements for his memorial service to be held at Garden City Christian Church (Mt Gravatt) later in the week.

1 comment:

Andrew Staggs said...

Here is what Luke wrote:

We will all miss Merv and I am no exception. Merv was a leader, role model and a Man of God that I looked up to like no other. I am so happy that he has stepped into the realm of eternity where his new body will be perfect and free from pain.

At the same time I am saddened by the loss we have all suffered with his passing, perhaps selfishly so but still saddened. The wisdom, wit, humour, strength, love, and valour that Merv displayed is not often seen in this world and I can't help but feel we are left poorer in his absence.

I am not saying goodbye to Merv, just 'See you later' because we will meet again at the foot of the throne of heaven singing praises to our God.