Pages

Monday, January 19, 2009

Don't Step Up Unless You're Ready and Willing to Step Down

This is a thought that has been moving deeply within me for several months.
I need to get it out there to keep the process rolling on.

Dr. Dan Reiland did an article last year in his Pastor's Coach email that contained a thought that is a sleeper.

Here it is:

Don't Step Up Unless You're Ready and Willing to Step Down
When my pastor, Kevin Myers, first talked to me about the possibility of serving as a member of our church's board, he explained something that I will never forget. It has since become a foundational principle for me in any kind of leadership. He said,
"As long as your leadership is good enough to help the church, you belong on the board. But if the church ever outgrows your ability to lead, you will have to step down."

My purpose on the board is to serve the church and my pastor; not for it or him to serve me. For that reason, I've always held on loosely to my position on our board of elders. I'm acutely aware that it is a privilege to serve in a church where God is working, and I feel lucky to be where I am. God could have chosen anyone to serve Him at 12Stone, yet He picked me. I strive to live a life worthy of the calling I have received (Eph 4:1).
And I am determined never to stand in the way of what God is doing at the church.

This is a very powerful leadership thought!

Imagine if everyone in your team had this humble attitude.

What do you think?

The Pastor's Coach is written by Dr. Dan Reiland and is available via e-mail on a free subscription basis. You can subscribe by clicking here.
Used with Permission. The Pastor's Coach, September 2008.

1 comment:

PWG said...

Refreshing attitude, great idea.