Pages

Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Why I Blog - Mark Batterson

I have been asked to speak to some pastors this AM about blogging.

I was was asked 2 months ago to do the same to a different group of pastors.

I like blogging.

And was really inspired by a great blogging pastor - Mark Batterson (National Community Church, Washington DC).

Here is a link to a great blog post he did ages ago.

And here is his list.... enjoy!

I thought I would hit the pause button and share the top ten reasons why I blog:

1) I want to be a good steward of God ideas. My blog is one way I "take my thoughts captive"--II Corinthians 10:5.

2) Too often we remember what we should forget and forget what we should remember. My blog helps me remember what God doesn't want me to forget.

3) Blogging is therapeutic. It helps me process thoughts and emotions.

4) Habakkuk 2:2 says, "Write down the revelation." Blogging is one way I write down what God is revealing to me.

5) Blogging is a form of digital discipleship. I can't disciple a thousand people one-on-one or face-to-face. Blogging is asyncronous discipleship. It's e-vangelism.

6) Blogging is marking my trail with breadcrumbs like Hansel and Gretel. Jeremiah 31:21 says, "Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Mark well the path by which you came."

7) I blog for posterity. My grandkids will know what I was doing and thinking on February 11, 2006. They'll be able to know my heart and read my mind.

8) Blogging is a form of autobiography. It helps me understand God's storyline for my life.

9) Blogging makes NCC an open-source church. For better or for worse, my blog is the way I share what we're doing at NCC.

10) I enjoy blogging. I don't think it comes natural to everyone. But I've always journaling. Blogging fits the rhythm of my life and ministry.

Blog on.

I'll post another post about blogging tomorrow morning - so stay tuned.

No comments: