Pages

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Rick Warren on Twitter

Here is what Rick Warren recently wrote about Twitter.

Nice one, Rick!

You’ve likely heard of TWITTER, the free internet text messaging tool that millions of people use to connect with each other on their cell phones and computers. I use it daily to keep in touch with pastors around the world.

For years, I declined to use
Twitter thinking it was probably a frivolous waste of time. My staff tried to get me to start using it 3 years ago when it launched July ’06, but it seemed so narcissistic.

But recently, John Piper and I preached a funeral together and I saw John’s article on why he uses Twitter for ministry. I realized the powerful possibility of using this free tool to stay in contact with other pastors. Instead of answering the question, “What are you doing? (boring!) I use
Twitter to encourage leaders and share what I’m thinking.

Connecting to each other through
Twitter has several benefits:

1. You can share with me any immediate crisis or great celebration the moment it happens. It would be my privilege to “weep with those who weep and rejoice with those who rejoice.” Sharing your victories always doubles the joy. Sharing hurts halves the pain.

2. I can share with you my personal thoughts and insights on ministry throughout the day. I send these out to my friends several times a day.

3. I can alert you instantly about national and global events that have impact on our ministries the moment the news breaks.

I hope you’ll
join me today. Here’s where to see some of what I’ve written and how to sign on now.

See you on
Twitter!

No comments: