Pages

Monday, November 24, 2008

"I Will Obey God Today!"

Here are some random notes from my message on Sunday – part 4 of the Super Six series“truths of steel.”

I can do life the “me-way” or “God’s way”

The “me-way”
There is a way that seems right to a man, but in the end it leads to death.
Proverbs 14:12 (NIV)
“God’s way”
As for God, his way is perfect; the word of the LORD is flawless. He is a shield for all who take refuge in him.
Psalm 18:30 (NIV)

Ebay – Obey – God’s Way - it's my choice - I have a free-will.






Our obedience makes a difference.
There are benefits to obedience.

When I obey:
1. I go God’s way
2. I unlock understanding
3. I open the door to God’s favour
4. I make God smile
5. I worship God
6. I please God more that than doing what I think is a sacrifice
7. I open the door/release God’s breakthrough in my life

Blessings for Obedience

1 If you fully obey the LORD your God and carefully follow all his commands I give you today, the LORD your God will set you high above all the nations on earth. 2 All these blessings will come upon you and accompany you if you obey the LORD your God: 3 You will be blessed in the city and blessed in the country. 4 The fruit of your womb will be blessed, and the crops of your land and the young of your livestock--the calves of your herds and the lambs of your flocks. 5 Your basket and your kneading trough will be blessed. 6 You will be blessed when you come in and blessed when you go out..... (the rest of the chapter is well worth a good read)
Deut 28:1-6

You bless those who obey you, Lord; your love protects them like a shield.

Psalms 5:12 (TEV)

"Obedience is the currency of the Kingdom"

Here is a warning for disobedience (2 versions so we “get it!”)
Rebelling against God or disobeying him because you are proud is just as bad as worshiping idols or asking them for advice. You refused to do what God told you, so God has decided that you can't be king."

1 Samuel 15:23 (CEV)

Not doing what God tells you is far worse than fooling around in the occult. Getting self-important around God is far worse than making deals with your dead ancestors. Because you said No to God's command, he says No to your kingship.

1 Samuel 15:23 (MSG)

Obedient faith hears God’s Word.
Obedient faith acts on God’s Word.

There were some big chunks of stuff I did not say...like this

It’s possible to have God’s Word in our heads, but not to be sensitive to God’s Spirit to apply the Word in specific situations.
We hear, but we don’t hear.

It’s like living next to a four-lane freeway
We got so used to the noise that if we woke up on Sunday at 3 a.m., when there would be only one car every 15 or 20 seconds, it seemed strange to have it so quiet.
We “heard” the cars constantly, but we really didn’t hear them.
We blocked out the noise.

Spiritually we often do the same thing.
We develop the capacity to block out the Word from certain areas of our lives. We read it, or hear it preached, but we don’t really hear it.
Often we don’t want to hear it, because it reveals major changes that need to take place in our lives.
That’s why as Jesus taught He often said, “He who has ears to hear, let him hear”; or, “take care how you listen” (Luke 8:8, 18).
Obedient faith hears God’s Word with a willingness to yield to the Lord in areas where we need to change.

A gray-haired old lady, long a member of her church, shook hands with the pastor after the Sunday morning service. “That was a wonderful sermon,” she told him, “just wonderful. Everything you said applies to someone I know.”

Obedient faith hears what God’s Word is saying to me, and it responds with appropriate action.

How do I obey God today?

1. Make a decision – “God, today I am placing my soul in Your hands”
2. Commit to building trust with God
3. Do it wholeheartedly

No comments: