Pages

Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Apprenticeship

I mentioned in my John Mellencamp post that the theme for me on the night was “apprenticeship.”

There were 3 performers - John Mellencamp, Sheryl Crow and Shane Nicholson.

Shane was “new talent” and was given the opportunity to “have a go” and shine. His mum was in the crowd – and she loved it. Shane used the opportunity to quickly mention another new act visiting in Jan 2009.

Sheryl mentioned that she had previously visited Brisbane as a singer with a Michael Jackson tour. And she sung a Crowded House number because she was a support act for them in USA. And she played a Paul Hester song because of that performing relationship.

John Mellencamp then got Sheryl to sing a duet with him during his set. And Mellencamp worked his band hard – and they moved into the “front row” position on cue, and then retreated.

At the encore, Mellencamp introduced his 13 year old son who did some great guitar work.

The night for me was about opportunities for new talent.

I saw the journey of a background singer to lead singer

I saw an example of a support act being involved in a main act.
I saw the journey of a support act becoming the main act.…and I saw artists acknowledge “their path” by honouring their “stepping stones”

This had me thinking a lot about apprenticeship – and how we grow – in both our character and our leadership.

Here is an excerpt from the introduction to the book of Philippians in The Message:


None of the qualities of the Christian life can be learned out of a book. Something more like apprenticeship is required, being around someone who out of years of devoted discipline shows us, by his or her entire behaviour, what it is. Moments of verbal instruction will certainly occur, but mostly an apprentice acquires skill by daily and intimate association with a "master," picking up subtle but absolutely essential things, such as timing and rhythm and "touch."

Here are some inspiring bible verses

You've been a good apprentice to me, a part of my teaching, my manner of life, direction, faith, steadiness, love, patience, troubles, sufferings—suffering along with me in all the grief I had to put up with in Antioch, Iconium, and Lystra. And you also well know that God rescued me! 2 Timothy 3:10-11 (MSG)


He quoted a proverb: " 'Can a blind man guide a blind man?' Wouldn't they both end up in the ditch? An apprentice doesn't lecture the master. The point is to be careful who you follow as your teacher. Luke 6:39-40 (MSG)


Give a cool cup of water to someone who is thirsty, for instance. The smallest act of giving or receiving makes you a true apprentice. You won't lose out on a thing." Matthew 10:42 (MSG)


Hold fast and follow the pattern of wholesome and sound teaching which you have heard from me, in [all] the faith and love which are [for us] in Christ Jesus. 2 Timothy 1:13 (AMP)


I don't write these things merely to make you feel uncomfortable, but that you may realise facts, as my dear children. After all, you may have had ten thousand teachers in Christian faith, but you cannot have many fathers! For in Jesus Christ I am your spiritual father through the Gospel; that is why I implore you to follow the footsteps of me your father. I have sent Timothy to you to help you in this. For he himself is my much-loved and faithful son in the Lord, and he will remind you of those ways of living in Christ which I teach in every church to which I go. 1 Corinthians 4:14 (Phillips)


The master may get better work from an untrained apprentice than from a skilled rebel! Proverbs 26:10 (TLB)


God, help me to be a great apprentice to You!

PS – this will no doubt lead me to another post on “building apostolically.” And some references to the ministry of Steve Dixon.

No comments: