Pages

Saturday, July 11, 2009

My Work Matters - Part 1 Summary Quotes

If you have been following this blog recently you would have heard about the new "My Work Matters" series at Westlife Church on Sunday mornings 10am.

I'll explain the purpose of this powerful series in another post, but here are some highlights for me from part 1 with Tracy Skellern-Smith.

Servants, do what you're told by your earthly masters. And don't just do the minimum that will get you by. Do your best. Work from the heart for your real Master, for God, confident that you'll get paid in full when you come into your inheritance. Keep in mind always that the ultimate Master you're serving is Christ. The sullen servant who does shoddy work will be held responsible. Being Christian doesn't cover up bad work. And masters, treat your servants considerately. Be fair with them. Don't forget for a minute that you, too, serve a Master--God in heaven. (Col 3:22-4:1)

There are 5 levels of leadership:
1. The first level of leadership is from your position.
2. The second level of leadership is leadership is from
respect.
3. The third level of leadership is production.
4. The fourth level of leadership is
people development.
5. The fifth level of influence is the personhood level.

Influence takes more than a day.

Rick Warren said “Many Christians don't make the connection between Sunday and Monday. They compartmentalize their life. They think, "Well, I've got a spiritual life and I've got a secular life. My spiritual life is when I read the Bible, when I pray, when I go to church, when I do good things for others. That's my spiritual life." And that's over in one compartment. So then, they think, over in another compartment: "This is my secular life. That's my work, my job, my career, my business decisions, my finances, my pension plan; all these things are my secular life." The word secular isn't in the Bible. It all matters to God; everything in your life – including your work - is important to God. God is as interested in your work as He is in your prayers.

Manage your words well at work. Joyce Meyer calls them “capsules of power.” There is life and death in the power of the tongue. If you manage your thoughts – probably have more success in managing your words. If you have something worthwhile to say – say it briefly and well.


No comments: