Pages

Friday, June 19, 2009

Who’s The Coach? - Guest Post - Mark Edwards

I thought that this Mark Edwards post today was both insightful and inspiring.

You can click the link here.... or simply read below.

Thanks, Mark, for the thoughts!!!

Over to you, now:

My exercise regime continues – up till now I have been training by myself and not really having a clue how to achieve those goals that I had secretly hidden in my heart but hoping desperately to achieve.

So I took the plunge and engaged a personal trainer – Sarah is fantastic – very patient and encouraging – someone who will not tolerate my rot!

We sat down and she analysed what I had been doing by myself over the past few weeks. The look of shock was obvious – ‘You do all this! What about a rest day?’ I thought ‘Rest Day! Novel concept but unnecessary because I have certain goals I want to achieve.’ How unlike me to be like a bull at a gate?

Sarah reviewed my schedule then personally went through the exercise and training regime with me. Helping me, demonstrating to me, coaching me and encouraging me through the process – each exercise was for a specific purpose which fitted into my goals.

It was more specific, more concentrated and it would take less time due to the specific nature of the routine and it incorporated a rest day.

As I walked away from this session I thought about how good this was for me. I felt so empowered – so able – so capable and competent. I had a coach who cared about me. Everyone needs a coach – someone to guide them in doing life so we don’t go the wrong way, exert more effort than we should, waste precious time and energy or make too many mistakes.

I realize you perhaps know what I am going to say next but for me one of the best coaches in my life is my daily devotions and journaling.

I find reading my bible in a systematic way and then journaling is indeed like having a personal trainer.
It guides me, assists me, encourages me, corrects me and teaches me.
Even yesterday devotions provided me with some wonderful counsel in an area of my life that I needed guidance upon.

Who coaches you?

Don’t do life alone!

What a recipe for disaster that could be?

No comments: