Pages

Thursday, July 10, 2008

“A” is for Anointing

Was scanning 1 John this afternoon before moving onto 2 John – and came across this cracker of a verse with some insight.

“As for you, the anointing you received from him remains in you, and you do not need anyone to teach you. But as his anointing teaches you about all things and as that anointing is real, not counterfeit--just as it has taught you, remain in him.”
- 1 John 2:27 (NIV)

The anointing is the realized presence of God – it is His presence for everyday living. Some bible versions call it the “unction.”

My NIB Study Bible notes at the bottom note this in relation to the phrase “teaches you”
The teaching ministry of the Holy Spirit - what is commonly called illumination – does not involves revelation of new truth or the explanation of all difficult passages of Scripture to our satisfaction. Rather it is the development of the capacity to appreciate and appropriate God’s truth already revealed – making the Bible meaningful in thought and daily living.I love it that the Word that was written under the inspiration of Holy Spirit can also be illuminated to me in 2008 by the same Holy Spirit. God’s presence in me helps me to live a life of purpose and in accordance with God’s commands.
Barker, Glen W (in The Expositor's Bible Commentary: Volume 12. 323-329. Grand Rapids: Zondervan Publishing House, © 1981) notes that the last part of verse 27 summarizes the threefold reason to trust the anointing.
First of all, his anointing teaches all things. "All things" seemingly means everything necessary and possible for them to know concerning the Word of Life.
Second, this anointing is real (true) and not counterfeit
Third, the community has in its history experienced the teaching from the anointing —i.e., they have known the confirming work of the Spirit in their lives. The gospel has taken root in them and has brought forth its fruit. Therefore John concludes with his most important word to them: "Remain [abide] in him [Christ]."

I love how different version of the same Bible text bring out the richness of “what must I now do in response to this powerful promise and provision” -

Live deeply in what you were taught. ….1 John 2:27 (MSG)
Obey the Spirit's teaching, then, and remain in union with Christ.
1 John 2:27 (TEV)
So live in Christ as he taught you to do. 1 John 2:27 (GW)
You must live in Christ, never to depart from him. 1 John 2:27 (TLB)

So … “A” is for Anointing …. and in response to my increased capacity to appreciate and appropriate God’s truth already revealed (making the Bible meaningful in thought and my daily living) – I am to obey and “live deeply” in what I have been taught. Powerful stuff!

1 comment:

mich said...

Hey Pastor A for Andrew! The Lord pointed me in the direction of this scripture a while ago and I still have it written on a post it and stuck to my bathroom mirror. Amazingly it's the only one that has survived the condensation and steam from the clothes dryer and shower. I figure God wants me to read this one every day for now...
Thanks for the blog.