Pages

Saturday, July 19, 2008

Backyard Wembley... and a Reincarnated Glenn Hoddle

This afternoon my backyard was like Wembley Stadium in London. My son and I were playing soccer together and it was if the roar of the 95,000 strong crowd was all for us. This is what happens when we watch a "greatest goals" football DVD together the night before.

Here is a picture of our "Backyard Wembley" ....the trampoline makes a great set of sticks!


After the DVD I told my boy about my favourite player growing up - #10 for Tottenham Hotspurs - Glen Hoddle.
Glenn wore Le Coq Sportif boots with 8 studs - a revolution of the early 1980's - and I saw him score a cracker of a goal from about 35 yards against Liverpool. What a legend!


I scored a beautiful goal this arvo from a set piece move - curled it over the lemon tree - top right hand corner of the trampoline... I "bent it like Hoddle." I really felt like I was being a great father today.. ..

Point your kids in the right direction— when they're old they won't be lost. - Proverbs 22:6 (MSG)

2 comments:

Rob-Star said...

How cool! An over-the-lemon-tree-curling-shot, quality time, a scripture and life-application. Maaaaate! You get to take the number 10 jersey home this week...

Unknown said...

cool blog Andy- all you needed was Jethro to sing out as you kicked it 'ping one in the onion sack Dad!'

if you want to see flashes of brilliance from 30 yards, mixed with woeful ball control, come to the 'valley of dry bones' at Brittain Park, 6:45pm on Friday night...

there'll be highs and there'll be lows- something for the whole family!